Well, a lot has been happening since I was last able to post to my blog. First and formost, my wondrous wife Kay and I have moved. We’d been getting tired of apartment living and having to share the building with other people. So, after a frenetic search, we found an absolutely adorable single-family house in Hackensack. Once we found the house and signed the lease, then we started the month-and-a-half long process of frantically packing things into boxes and moving them from the old apartment to the new house. Making the process of moving even more annoying was the constant harassment by our old landlord about when we would be out of the apartment. “When will you have all of your property out of the apartment?” he would ask me. My reply was always the same: “My wife and I will have everything out and the apartment cleaned up by the end of the month when our lease ends.” This didn’t make him happy, but I didn’t care–I’d paid my rent through the end of the month, and I had enough stress to deal with trying to get everything done without having to worry about getting out of my old apartment earlier than I needed to.
One of the great stressors I had to deal with was my oldest cat, Lily, stopped eating after the move and became very weak. She’d been losing a lot of weight recently, too, so we took her into the vet. There, we discovered that she was in kidney failure, and, after some discussion, my wife and I decided to check Lily into a veterinary emergency clinic so she could receive 24-hour IV fluid injections for a few days. She took to the treatment well, and after about two-and-a-half days of treatment we were able to check her out of the clinic and continue giving her daily subcutaneous fluid infusions. After another 10 days, we took her back to the vet, and her blood tests came back with excellent results. She was still a sick kitty with malfunctioning kidneys, but the numbers that had been the worst were drastically improved, and her Phosphorous level was 0.1 MG/DL above the “normal” range. She’s had her subcutaneous fluid infusions cut back to twice a week, and she’ll be checking in with the vet in September.
So, with all that going on, I didn’t have any time to work on my puppet. However, on July 1st, once we were officially out of the old apartment, I started work again. I spent much of my free time over the past week hand-stitching the hands for my monster. We couldn’t machine-sew the hands because there wasn’t really enough room for a decent seam allowance, so Kay taught me a slightly modified whip stitch, and I was able to sew a finger or two a day. Today, I finished both hands and Kay popped the proper thread into the sewing machine and we stitched up the rest of the seams:
All in all, I’m quite satisfied the way the sewing portion of the project has turned out. Next, we’re going to be tackling his mouth and his eyes.